Frequently Asked Questions

Tickets and Performances

Where is your box office?
Order tickets online here. The box office is located at 1101 W. 13 Mile Road inside Starr Jaycee Park, and it opens one hour before show time. Tickets may be purchased there by cash,  check or charge with Visa or MasterCard. Please note: there is no phone at the park. For inquiries on non-performance days, please call the Water Works office at 248-399-3727.

How do I purchase tickets?

Online: click for tickets to A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

At the Park: Visit our box office at Starr Jaycee Park before the show to pay by cash, check or charge with Visa or MasterCard.

Can I choose a performance date?
Yes! Since tickets are limited in number and are sold for specific performance dates and times, it is best to order tickets online. As an outdoor event with no assigned seating, we find it works best this way. All tickets are general admission: first come, first seated.

Do you offer group discounts?
Yes. Advance-purchase group rates are available. Call our office at 248.399.3727 to talk about any group of ten (10) or more!

What if it rains?
Our weather policy is like a baseball game – we stop if it rains too much. Rain checks will be made available at the park if it rains, except for closing night.

How long are the performances?
Our Shakespeare show lasts about two and a half hours with an intermission. It’s Michigan, so we suggest you dress for the weather to change, just in case.

Do you use professional artists?
Water Works Theatre Company prides itself on offering the work of the best professional artists in Michigan. All actors and designers are compensated for their talent and time.

Starr Jaycee Park

Royal Oak’s Starr Jaycee Park is on 13 Mile Road between Main and Crooks, two miles east of Woodward Avenue. (Click here for map/directions). Our theater is just a short walk from the free parking areas in Starr Jaycee Park, including Farley Field.map2

Starr Jaycee Park is Royal Oak’s largest park (28-acres) with play structures, a disk golf course, mini-train tracks, ball diamonds and lots of old growth trees.

For two weeks this summer, the park is also home to a barrier-free, open-air theatre, custom built by Water Works Theatre Company under a permit issued by the City of Royal Oak. We make sure that people who come to enjoy the park can have unrestricted access to the facilities, even if they are not attending our shows. However, we do close the child play structures and disk golf holes 9 and 18 during our performances.

What about picnics?

You are welcome to picnic in the park outside the theater in the pavilion area we’ve rented for you, but our permit from the City of Royal Oak does not allow “outside” food or drink to be brought inside the enclosed theater area. Our concession booth offers a selection of inexpensive soft drinks, fresh popcorn and pre-packaged healthy treats for purchase.

We also offer beer and wine for sale during Hamlet performances (proper ID required).

Please note: As a public, city-owned park, no alcohol or illegal/non-prescribed controlled substances may be possessed or consumed inside Starr Jaycee Park by the patrons. Water Works asks that you kindly refrain from smoking within the theater area and anywhere that might disturb our patrons or staff.

May I bring my pet?
Animals are allowed in the park with leash laws obeyed, but NO PETS are allowed inside the theatre area.

Tell me about seating.
Seating is general admission and is assigned by our friendly ushers based on the size of your party, and the size and type of seating you choose. Guests are encouraged to bring a lawn chair or blanket, or to take advantage of our bleacher seating. Patrons with taller lawn chairs are seated behind those with lower chairs and blankets. Our Hospitality Tent also has blankets and seat cushions available for loan to make you more comfortable.

Is the theatre handicap accessible?
Absolutely. Our ushers will gladly provide you with on-site assistance and early seating. For specific questions or special arrangements, call the Water Works office at 248.399.3727.

Where can I park?
Our theater is just a short walk from the parking areas in Starr Jaycee Park, including the grassy parking lot (Farley Field) on 13 Mile, just west of the baseball diamond. Additional free parking is available two blocks north of 13 Mile Road on Marais Street at the Royal Oak Board of Education building. Patrons wishing to drop off their chairs before parking may use the handicapped access in the central parking lot near the box office.

Can I take pictures or videos of the show?
In accordance with U.S. copyright laws and Actors’ Equity Association rules, no individual photography or recording will be permitted during our shows.  There is no restriction on family recording or photography of KidsAct! or Water Works Teen Ensemble workshop performances.

May I use the park if I don’t buy a ticket to the show?
Yes. Water Works Theatre Company does not control the entire territory of Starr Jaycee Park during our events. We operate in a selected area of the park under a Special Event Permit issued by the City of Royal Oak, which gives us temporary rights and responsibilities in our part of the park. Public parking and restrooms are always available to all park patrons. However, several areas of the park are temporarily closed during Water Works performances and events:

Park Pavilions: Water Works rents the large central pavilion for our patrons and the small west pavilion for our production team. These will not be accessible to the public during our performances and events without express permission from Water Works management.

Play Structures:  The three children’s play structures normally close at 9:00 p.m. Water Works is permitted to close the play structures during our performances to help minimize noise and distractions for our actors and audience members.

Disc Golf Course Holes 9 and 18:  For safety reasons, Water Works is permitted to close disc golf course holes number 9 and 18 during our performances. This also helps to minimize noise and distractions for our actors and audience members.

Baseball Diamonds and Volley Ball Area: One of the three baseball diamonds and the west volley ball area are unavailable during our event.


Education Programs

Please see the KidsAct! and SRO Teen Ensemble pages for more detailed information and FAQs.

Getting Involved

How can I volunteer for Water Works?
Call 248.399.3727, or
send us an email at

How can I become an usher?
Contact House Manager Holly Conroy at 248.435.3777 to volunteer.

How can I find out about auditions?
Auditions for Shakespeare Royal Oak are posted on the Shakespeare Royal Oak Facebook page, as well as on Please check both locations in January for audition notices, and “like” us on Facebook to stay in the loop!

How can I make a donation?

Donate now online. Checks can also be mailed to: Water Works Theatre Company, Inc., 1409 Lloyd Ave, Royal Oak, MI 48073.